How anonymous is this collection, really?
It is completely impossible for me to connect any of the collected data to a specific device, much less a specific person. Overload uses a service called Pinch Analytics, in use by many other famous iPhone applications such as Twitterrific and Darkslide. Pinch Media, who makes Pinch Analytics, might save device IDs to figure out how many unique users Overload has, but they are not using that data beyond providing me with statistics analysis, and there is no way for me to get any data beyond the aggregated analysis that Pinch Analytics gives me.
Why does Overload want to know about my usage?
I can use this information to guide the future development of Overload. For more exact reasons, see the next topic.
Exactly what data are you collecting?
The following information is collected:
- Which version of Overload you are running.
- Which device you are running Overload on (e g iPhone 3G, or iPod Touch 2nd generation?). I can use this information to for example decide if it's okay for me to depend on a feature only available on the iPhone, or if a large fraction of my users are on a faster device.
- Which features you use. These are at the moment:
If I see that no one is using Chaos Mode, I can remove it. If I see that AI mode is very popular, I might use the next version for improving the AI, or adding difficulty levels for the AI. If the two player option is the most popular, I might concentrate on network play, and so on.
- Whether you play against a human or against an AI
- Whether you use a large or a small game board
- Whether you play with sound on or off
- Whether you use the Chaos Mode
- The country you are in (down to city in some cases, but never more detailed than that, absolutely not your exact position). You can opt out of sharing this particular piece of information by just answering "No" when the iPhone asks if Overload may use your location. I collect this information in order to decide which languages I should consider adding to Overload (e g if I have many French users, I should add a French localization).